The capital of Wales is a popular tourist destination and vacation hotspot for travellers from all over Europe. Below a look at five reasons to visit Cardiff, Wales.
1. Castles – There are a number of castles in Cardiff, and the most popular one, Cardiff Castle, is over 2000 years old and is located right at the city centre. Cardiff Castle gives the city a distinctive character, and makes it a unique holiday destination in the country. The castle originally belonged to the Bute family and was remodelled in a gothic style in the year 1860. A tour of Cardiff Castle is one good reason to visit Cardiff, whether or not you enjoy historical tours.
2. Cardiff Bay- In the last decade or so, the city council has developed the Cardiff Docklands to recreate the charming Bae Caerdydd or Cardiff Bay. The Taff River and the Ely River provide water to the bay, creating a freshwater lake that spans 500 acres. The Cardiff Bay provides many excellent opportunities for water sports enthusiasts, hosting activities like sailing, water skiing and canoeing. The area is a great place for visitors to unwind and relax, boasting a number of restaurants, spas and luxury hotels on the shores of the Cardiff Bay.
3. Adventure Sport – For people who enjoy challenging themselves, there are a number of adventure sport activities available in and around Cardiff. Whether you indulge in it for recreation, or professionally, there are enough challenges available at Cardiff. The most common adventure sport on offer here is canyoning, an activity guaranteed to provide an adrenalin rush. Apart from this, there is also white water rafting, canoeing and kayaking. Other adventure sport activities on offer include paintball, quad biking, go-karts, clay pigeon shooting, caving and climbing.
4. Shopping- This city provides some of the best shopping options in Wales and possibly in the South-West parts of the United Kingdom. Cardiff offers shopping enthusiasts many stores and boutiques from popular designers and worldwide brands as well as a range of historic arcades, that sell merchandise, antiques and clothes based on the Edwardian and Victorian era.
5. Myriad of Experiences- Visitors to Cardiff have the choice of a number of different holidays packaged into one, whether they would like to take a break from the city and have an eco-holiday, enjoy a historical tour or participate in the many adventure and water sports offered here. Steeped in cultural heritage, Cardiff has enough to please even the most hardened of critics.
About the Author: